¡Hola, familia y amigos!
You may think that I am basking in the summer sun and working on my tan without so much as a thought for all of you freezing in the
That being said, it sure did feel nice to catch some rays today, and I wish each of you had been there. I had my second day of the Intensive Spanish class today, and afterwards almost all of us estadounidenses (people from the U.S.) got on the Metro and went to the free pool at Colegio San Ignacio, a high school in the upper middle-class neighborhood of Providencia, where a lot of the other students in my program live. The water was pretty cold, but it felt nice to escape the scorching
Most people decided to head home after the pool closed (at 6pm) to hang out with their families, take a nap, take a shower, get going on the homework, and so forth. I followed suit, especially since Gladis has worked the past two nights and I hadn’t seen her much.
The Spanish class is really good so far. I tested into the second section, though I have no idea if that’s good or bad or means nothing. The best Spanish speaker here is in my section though, so I’m hoping that means I didn’t totally bomb the pre-test. Class goes by pretty quickly and gives me a chance to interact with the other students, which I’ve been waiting for. In addition, the professors are fantastic. They’ve been working with students from the
I would have written yesterday, after my first day of class, but I felt terrible. I’d had a bit of a sore throat the night before (Sunday) and had been a bit congested, but I figured it was just allergies or my body being confused about the change in temperature. But yesterday I felt like I hit a wall; I had no energy, and I woke up with a stuffy nose and a sore throat and spent the whole morning coughing and sneezing in class. Then a fever was added into the mix and I decided I was for sure coming down with something. It was not good timing, as it was the first day of class and I’d hoped to hang out with people afterwards, but I had to make sure I took care of myself (who wants to be sick in a foreign country?!), so I headed home right after class. As it turns out, I didn’t miss much. People tried to find the pool yesterday but after wandering around for two hours and finally stumbling upon it, it was closed anyway. I went to the pharmacy (Stephanie went with me—what a sweetie) and tried to find something like DayQuil. They had no such remedy and I was sent off with something called Nastizol. I explained my symptoms to the pharmacist and asked for something for a cold and that’s what she gave me, so I trusted her and took it. I think it has helped, though I have no idea what it is. When I got home, I felt like crap, and Gladis and
Then, last evening, I Skyped with my mom. Being sick had made my homesickness worse and had made me even more emotional than I’ve been, and I just felt that I had to talk to someone. I wasn’t sure if it would help or hurt me, but as it turns out, it was a really good thing for me. Knowing that my family is doing well helps me calm down, and I went to bed exhausted and feeling like crap but still a bit uplifted. I woke today feeling significantly better about being here. I know I’m going to have ups and downs, and I know that other people are probably going through the same thing to a certain extent even if I feel like I’m the only one feeling this way. But all of the messages from people at home are really helpful and talking to my mom—even though the Skype connection wasn’t perfect and we got cut off three times—was like getting an injection of Encouragement. In the last few days I’ve also heard that Zak is safe and doing OK at his pre-deployment training (thanks, Kell), and I talked to Diesel on AIM. I got emails from Katharine and Molly and Lindsey and my parents and received Facebook messages from Catí and my sister. All of it is so helpful. Thank you.
I’m still not sure if I’m sick with a cold or if I have allergies or if I’m just not used to all of this sun or what. I had a really busy day on Sunday and maybe that contributed to it too. But it was so much fun! Andrea and I went to Mass at the church down the street in the morning, which I had said I needed to do. I love that, no matter where I am, I can find a church and can cling to something that doesn’t change. I didn’t understand a lot of what was said at Mass but just being there brought me a certain amount of peace. Things are mostly the same, though people here don’t line up for Communion. If they’re going to receive, they just go up when they’re ready. I was a bit thrown off by that (I’d seen it in
After Mass, Andrea and I bought empanadas, a very traditional Chilean food, at a cute little bakery a few blocks away. We enjoyed them at home and relaxed for a little while (the sun, even after a little while, takes a lot out of a person). Stephanie called and asked what I was up to and I told her that I was going to go exploring with Andrea and she could join if she’d like to. She accepted the invitation and, after lunch, Andrea and I walked to Stephanie’s (she lives quite close) and picked her up.
We began our adventure by walking to the Palacio de la Moneda, the equivalent of the White House here in
After that, we left the area and walked to the famous Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino. I thought of Zak and Rob a lot here because the main exhibit was about the ancient coastal peoples (AKA fishermen) of
Our next stop was the Plaza de Armas, which is basically a huge plaza surrounded by old, beautiful buildings, many of which are government-related and one of which is an amazing cathedral. The plaza was founded in 1541 by Pedro de Valdivia, who conquered
We left the plaza and walked through what I think was the lovely neighborhood of Santa Lucía. There’s a beautiful park there, and there are many things to see in this park, but we were on a mission to get to Bellavista, the happening bohemian quarter, for some R&R. We stopped at a small fair along the way and I made my first non-essential purchase: two pairs of lovely earrings for a total of about US$4—not bad, I’d say. We met up with Andrea’s friend, Claudio, who is super nice, and on the way to Bellavista we found another of her friends, though I can’t remember his name. We all decided we’d like to sit and enjoy a snack, so we purchased crepés from Andrea’s favorite spot in the brand new, and beautiful, Patio Bellavista. There are many shops that I definitely need to pay another visit to, but I was mostly interested in my delicious crepé, which contained bananas, strawberries, whipped cream, and Nutella. Pretty dang good.
I figured that snack would hold us until much later, but when we turned the corner, Andrea pointed out another fabulous place to purchase and enjoy empanadas, and who could pass that up? So, Andrea, Stephanie, Claudio, the other guy (oops), and I ordered empanadas and drinks and sat at a table outside. The sidewalks here are lined with tables and chairs and the environment is so relaxing. People walk by and play their instruments for money and the music from the nearby clubs fills in any silences in conversation. It was the perfect summer afternoon, and I have officially entered into an intense love affair with empanadas. Although, when I later told Gladis that Andrea had fed me two in one day, she looked like she was going to put me on some sort of Detox diet for a week. After enjoying ourselves for awhile in Bellavista, we began the long walk back to a Metro. The unnamed man had to leave, but the four of us went to Claudio’s apartment and enjoyed some delicious Chilean red wine. It was a relaxing evening, but I turned in fairly early due to the long day of class the next day.
In conclusion, Sunday was wonderful, Monday was not so wonderful, and today was pretty good. I now need to start my homework and sleep off all of the sun I got today. I might also enjoy “The Notebook” with Kena. I’m pretty sure she watches it in English with Spanish subtitles, but even if it’s in Spanish, at least it’s something I’ll understand. I think people will start thinking I’m a big loser for not going out every single night, but I don’t really want to spend all of my money on drinks and I don’t want to get sicker due to lack of sleep, either. Perhaps this weekend people will go out and I’ll go with them, but tonight everyone’s turning in early so I don’t feel so lame. I’m still not accustomed to the vampire’s schedule kept by the Chileans, though some of my classmates are pretty excited about it. I’ll have to find a balance between going out with them and taking care of myself. I’m glad to be feeling better today as yesterday was no fun. I hope this message finds YOU happy and healthy. I think of you all often and love you very much.
Besos!
Amanda
You describe it all so well, now I am craving an empanada!!! I also got pretty sick my first week there and allergy meds helped me quite a bit- different spores in the air and Santiago is soooo polluted that our lungs aren't used to all that crap (especially living in el centro).
ReplyDeletePlease tell Andrea and Marcelo that I say HELLO and enjoy the classes!
Looking forward to more posts :-)
Ali
Amanda, I finally had some time to read all of your entries and it sounds like you are very busy. Katharine and I miss skating with you, we have gone once so far. I have texted Zak a bit, and he is doing well. That is all for now.
ReplyDeleteHiiiii!!
ReplyDeleteI emailed you, but I wanted to post, too.
I like reading this, its a bookmark on my bookmark bar - you're important pretty lady.
Love you!