Right now, it's 4am here and I just returned home with Carolina and my Chilean "cousin," Keenah, who is eighteen years old and very sweet. People really don't start hanging out here until at least 11pm (23:00 here), so that's why we're back so late. Apparently this is normal, and then we're going to sleep the day away tomorrow. It's not how I usually roll, but hey-- when in Chile, right? We spent the evening hanging out here with Gladis, my host mom, and also Andrea, who is a friend of the family. She's incredibly sweet and very animated, and she's very patient with my Spanish and willing to keep trying to explain things in different words until I get it. Also, she's from Brazil! There is a constant influx of people in and out of this house, and I love it. I feel bad because I can't remember all of their names yet, but there are regular visitors (like Andrea) that I'm getting to know already.
It's like one big family around here, and there's very little privacy. Carolina emails and instant messages her friends right in front of everyone, which I think is interesting because at home, our laptops are more private, and people generally would rather not have people reading over their shoulders. Here, things are more open. Andrea even walks around in her underwear in front of me, and I've only known the girl for two days! All of this is part of the Chilean culture, which includes a lot less individual privacy than is valued in the United States. As I've said already, kisses are the standard greeting. In addition, I've noticed that people get closer in general, especially during conversation (which I don't mind because it's easier to understand Spanish if I can hear it really clearly). I do appreciate that my room seems to be my space. Apparently my family knows a bit about North Americans and understands that we're generally used to having our privacy to an extent.
This morning, I noticed that Gladis had washed and folded my laundry. Now, I've been here one day, so I had some underwear, a t-shirt, and the socks I was wearing when I left Wisconsin. These things were in my laundry basket and I figured they'd stay there for a week or so before being washed so that I could accumulate a load or half of a load. But no! This morning, they were folded neatly and placed on my bed, along with my bath towel which I'd only used once and had planned on using again at least once before placing it my basket. Clearly, I'm going to be spoiled here! When I get home, Mom, I'll expect this same treatment. Haha! Just kidding, of course. And you'll be happy to know that I still made my bed this morning even though Gladis would probably happily do it for me.
Gladis is so generous and so concerned about me having everything I need, almost to the point where I feel bad. For example, yesterday in the supermarket, she asked me if I'd like some cookies in the house and I said yes (c'mon, I love chocolate). She proceeded to buy two different types and then the fabulous ice cream I ate last night, which is fine because I figured it was for everyone and would be kept in the kitchen. When we got home, she slipped the packages of cookies to me on the sly and told me to keep them in a drawer in my room for when I'm hungry during the day! They're just for me! I felt so spoiled, but it's really quite kind. Speaking of chocolates, Gladis loved the Hughes chocolates I brought her. Robbie, you can tell your mom that Hughes has a loyal Chilean fan now too, though I'm not sure Gladis will be mail ordering a new box every couple of weeks!
Carolina is also incredibly sweet. This morning, she walked me to the University (UAH) because, although we're only two minutes away, I wasn't sure exactly where I was going. Let's just say navigation's not my strength! She promised she'd return at 1, after my meeting this morning, and although I felt like I was being a burden or asking her to babysit me, she didn't seem to mind and I really appreciated that. This morning, we had breakfast with the coordinator of international programs here, a gentleman (and Jesuit) named Fernando. He told us about the history of the University, which I thought was really interesting because I'm a dork. We took a picture with him after that and then met the director of the University too (and a few other important people who were all really welcoming). Then, we met with Isabel and went over some basic information about transportation, communications, etc. in Chile. It was helpful and answered some of my questions. Then, we had to take our Spanish placement test because our first class is on Monday. There are two sections of the class, both taught by some really awesome people who are used to teaching English-speakers, but one class will be more advanced/intense. I'm not sure where I'll be placed, and I don't really want to worry about it. Either way, I'll learn a lot. I looked through our textbook already (again-- I'm a total nerd) and I am excited for the grammar review (I need it!) and all of the poetry/Chilean short stories we'll be reading. In general, I'm excited about class beginning on Monday because it will be a routine, it will give me something to do, it will help me improve my language skills, and it will hopefully help me make some friends.
I'm so happy Carolina is so willing to include me in her plans. For example, tonight we hung out with a bunch of Chileans, and I was the gringa fool who didn't understand half the conversation, but I must have been somewhat charming in my stupidity because I got a free drink out of the deal (thanks to some guy from the south of Chile). We just sat around a table on the patio and chatted, all eight or ten of us, for a good hour, and I just had one beer. It's really such a nicer atmosphere than the bars at home, although I am excited for the crowded club experience too. Too bad I can't dance! Hopefully I'll be able to improve in that area as well! Anyway, I'm very grateful that Carolina is helping me stay busy and is willing to introduce me to her Chilean friends. Talking to them is so valuable, and I'm going to improve a lot more if I don't hang out with only North American kids. Today, I was pretty sad for about an hour (during my downtime before the evening's festivities began), especially because I was thinking about Zak's departure tomorrow and that made me miss him and everyone at home. I was hot and tired and sad, and Carolina seemed to know that I needed to get out and talk to people. It really does help to stay busy. There's a lot to see and do and I know that nobody wants me to be sad here (including myself), but it's undoubtedly a difficult adjustment, and moping won't change that.
After our morning activities at the University, I decided to join a group of students and Isabel in venturing to a different part of Santiago via "el metro," which is like Chicago's and New York's but cleaner. We went to La Moneda area (AKA, we didn't go far-- maybe ten blocks?)-- but it was a good experience, and it was a totally different neighborhood. There were people everywhere, as this area is called La Bolsa de Chile and is equivalent to Wall Street, and there were workers on strike and street vendors and crazy buses that are so long they have this Slinky-like thing in the middle for turning corners. It was the bustling Santiago I've read about, and although I live in the center of town too, it was a different sort of bustling. My part of Santiago is a bit grittier, but here there are old, elegant buildings and more people. It just made me feel like I was really in a big city, and I realized that there is so much of Santiago that I need/want to see and many more adventures to have. All we did was go to a few stores and eat lunch and then stop at the supermarket on our way back, but it was good to be out and about, riding the metro, and talking with students. We talked mostly in Spanish, which I like because I'm really trying to keep up my practice even when I'm with English-speakers. There's definitely a temptation to rely on our English, especially when we don't easily have the words we would like to use in our Spanish language arsenals, but we'll all improve and become more confident if we use each other for practice.
On the downside of our trip, one student's cell phone was pick-pocketed. She had it in an outside compartment of her purse, and as she was walking down the street, her purse under her arm, a Chilean guy snatched it from her and ran off with it. She chased him for a few steps when she realized what had happened, but Isabel said she should stop and just let him go. It all happened so fast, and it taught us all a lesson about protecting our things. I am very protective of my purse, and I keep it in front of me at all times. Petty crime is the main problem around here, and I don't want anyone snatching the Chilean cell phone my host family so generously gave me (especially because I've charged it with minutes now!) or, even worse, my money or digital camera. I told Gladis this story and I think it inspired the Mother in her to give me a standard "Be careful/Be smart/Be alert" lecture, one that, as I told Gladis, I've heard from my parents many, many times.
Gladis sure can talk, though. She talked to me about being smart and being safe for a good half hour, and it came up again later on in the evening. She definitely does have a mother's heart, as my mom has already detected. She explained that, when I'm here, my parents and the University are entrusting me to her care, and this is a great responsibility. Ultimately, I'm responsible for myself, though, so I need to be smart and etc. etc. etc. I appreciate her concern, and now I know a bit more what to expect from her. She appreciates calls if I'm going to go somewhere after class or if I'm going to be late, but she made it clear that she's not keeping tabs on me 24/7, which I appreciate because I'm used to having my independence now and I don't want to feel like I can't do anything without calling Gladis first. I think it will be a good balance, and I know her precautionary lecture was motivated my motherly concern and good intention.
I promised myself that this post would be short because I need to go to sleep, but it's still long. Journaling in English is actually difficult for me, which is probably a sign that my brain is starting to think more and more naturally in Spanish (a good thing!), but it's cathartic for me also, and I think I'll rely on this blog, especially during these first few weeks, to be my outlet. There are a lot of things I can't express in Spanish, though I try, and even if I can just type them on here, I might feel like less of an idiot! I appreciate all of the emails, Facebooks, and comments on here that I've received from all of you. I love you all and miss you, and you're all in my thoughts. Especially you, Zak. Stay strong, and do your best. You can do this.
Alright, goodnight!
Amanda
PS I have a few pictures (of my room, the whole group on campus, and La Moneda) but I can't get them to upload. Be patient!
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Does anybody actually read all of this?
ReplyDeleteI totally remember that feeling of not being able to express yourself- it takes awhile to really feel comfortable, but don't get frustrated it is normal!
ReplyDeleteAlso, soon enough you will probably consider La Moneda part of your neighborhood- you are only a few blocks away! You guys should meander that way after class this week, head to Plaza de Armas, its right around there.
Estoy disfrutando este blog MUCHO! Thanks for sharing, although it makes me miss it so much more!
I read all of it! And I like the girl who walks around in her underwear! ;)
ReplyDelete