Happy Spring to you all!
This time of year at
In addition, I missed Easter with my family this year, which wasn’t easy. I love all of our little traditions—stuffing and coloring eggs with my sister, helping my mom arrange the menu and the house, attending the beautiful Easter Vigil service at St. Raphael’s, watching my dad prepare his famous fish, greeting everyone as they arrive on Easter morning, enjoying the phenomenal food and, afterwards, plopping my stuffed self between Britt and Beth on the big chair, and trying to outsmart the Trupp boys in the Easter Egg Hunt.
But here in
Anyway, it’s pretty weird that we are in the equivalent of “October” here right now, and yet I’m trying to continue celebrating the miracle and mystery of Easter—a season heavily associated with light and new life of all kinds. It’s interesting that our associations are so conformed to our customs, though. For example, why would
Moving on! I should mention that, although I do miss celebrating this season in my “normal” context, it has been a wonderful and interesting experience to be away for a spring/Easter. I spent Holy Week in
In short, things were getting quite rhythmic. I was running three or four times a week, going to classes (which are, to be honest, somewhat boring—though I appreciate the minimal work I’m required to do), and enjoying my leisure time, often used to explore the city or hang out with friends. Weekends are fun. This particular week (which seems like awhile ago now!), I had volleyball on Monday only, which continues to prove entertaining, though I really am grateful for the opportunity to hang out with a really great group of girls and play a sport I enjoy. I had a nice long lunch with my friend Esteban on Wednesday, which was another highlight of the week. That same night, Lizzie and I tried to go to a poetry reading at a bar/café/restaurant in Bellavista, but due to a huge soccer game, every eating/drinking location was focused on sports that night. Instead, we enjoyed wine and quiche and had a really nice conversation. Lizzie is definitely my closest friend here in
On Thursday of that week, a bunch of people from our program decided to go to a concert in Barrio Brasil, which is really close to my house. I called Yolanda and Liz to see if they’d be interested, and the two of them met me for some pre-concert drinks. We ended up having way too much fun with that portion of the night, and after two piscolas each, we were having a giggly conversation and Yolanda was calling some boy and humiliating herself on the phone. Yolanda is so sweet and silly, and it’s AWESOME to have a Chilean friend. Plus, she and Lizzie hit it off right away too, so now my friends are friends, and we can all hang out together… and speak Spanish! She’s super-patient, as are most Chileans, which continues to astound me. But I definitely appreciate it! I’m going to miss her when I have to leave; it’s crazy that, even despite our language barrier, we have clicked quite quickly. We’ve had good talks on our way to volleyball and such—about our families, our beliefs, our respective languages, our areas of study and our future hopes, etc. etc. etc.—and I think that’s so incredible that we can bond like that even with a more limited mutual vocabulary. That’s why learning languages is SO beautiful!!
Anyway, after our “tragos” (drinks), we met up with the group of people at the concert, which turned out to be QUITE the experience. It seemed like everyone in our group had gone totally insane, and the concert itself was pretty wild too. The band was a huge group named Commotion, and their style of music is something called “gitano,” which, as I understand it, has some association with witchcraft or something. The members of the band were wearing colorful costumes and playing sort of atypical instruments. At one point, they all gathered on the dance floor and processed toward the stage with a crazy intensity that seemed meant for some kind of ritual ceremony. It was a pretty cool show—until it turned into a somewhat-scary mosh pit. Shortly thereafter, we headed home. All in all, though, it was a really fun night—and it was something new and different!
On Friday, Yolanda had decided we were going to have a “carrete” (the Chilean word for “fiesta”/party). So, Lizzie and I met up with her and her friend Daniela, who is also totally sweet, and we bought some snacks and, of course, some Mistral—my favorite type of pisco. I had sent a message to everyone in our program, informing them of this little get-together, but people seemed to be going in all different directions this particular evening, so no one could really come. Our plan was to hang out for awhile at Yolanda’s, conversing and snacking and sipping some piscolas, and then we wanted to go dancing in Bellavista at a place called Jammin’, which Yoli really likes. A bunch of Yolanda’s friends showed up, and we played music and danced around and acted silly. It was all fun and games, and then someone got hurt; silly Yolanda, dancing around on a chair, fell down somehow and actually sprained her ankle. I didn’t realize it was that serious until she called me the day after and informed me that she’d be out of volleyball for two weeks, which SUCKS because practice/going to practice is so much more fun with her there! Anyway, the dancing component was canceled, and we are now determined to have a Mexican-themed party soon, when she recovers. Still, it was a good Friday.
Lizzie and I sometimes get together and just find something to do. Saturday night, we saw a movie in German, with Spanish subtitles! It was an art house movie called “4 Minutes” (playing at a theatre here called El Biografo), and it was actually pretty good, but there were so many languages happening all at once. Surprisingly, it stopped feeling like so much effort, and I understood pretty much everything that people were saying, based on my subtitle-reading. My brain was tired at the end, but the experience was pretty cool—I felt like I was actually getting smarter. After that, we had a yummy dinner at an adorable little place in a neighborhood near Bellas Artes, a part of town that we always enjoy but don’t explore nearly enough.
We didn’t go out on Saturday night because Sunday was a big day. It was Palm Sunday, the day of the 10K I’d been training for, and the surprise birthday celebration for our good friend Josh. I woke up at around 6a.m. on Sunday morning and got myself prepped for the race. The starting point was outside La Moneda, which is only one Metro stop away from my house, so I had planned to just walk there, stretch for a bit, drop off my bag at the designated location, and perhaps find Lauren, the other girl from my program who was going to run the 10K, before beginning. For some reason, everything was way more frantic than my plan was meant to be. I arrived a little late, couldn’t figure out how to drop off my bag, couldn’t find Lauren, and couldn’t even locate the start of the race. Not good. Eventually, I realized I’d never find Lauren, and I luckily found the place to put my bag and made my way, frazzled and more-or-less unstretched, to the Start.
They say that 16,000 people took part in the Marathon/Half-Marathon/10K that day, and I’m pretty sure that the majority of them ran the 10K. I spent the first third of the race trying to get to an open space so that I could run at a consistent pace, which was sort of annoying. However, the rest of it went really smoothly. There were two water stops, a few Chilean bands playing on the sidelines every once in awhile, and lots of interesting things to look at as we ran our 6-mile loop around the city. In some ways, it was totally different than doing a run at home; there were very few spectators, people were cutting corners by running up on the sidewalks, and no one was calling out “splits,” which probably wouldn’t have even helped me because it was all in kilometers and I really only know my mile-splits. Anyway, I had my go-to running mix playing on my iPod, and I was jogging with thousands of other people through the streets of
The plan was to meet a bunch of people at a Metro stop about 10 minutes from my house in order to go together to Mass at the top of Cerro San Cristobol. The meeting time was 11 because Mass begins at 12, and the climb to the top takes a little while. I had invited Jill to join our group for Mass, and she took me up on the offer, which was so great. Walking towards Cerro San Cristobol on such a lovely day, with all of my post-race endorphins, with Lizzie and Jill on either side of me, made me feel so content!
When we got to the hill, we realized our plans were once again going to have to adjust to Chile-plans. There was a group of people, holding palms, gathered around a priest and a Cross, and it was clear that the Procession was going to begin from there after a
I led us astray on our way up the hill, which really isn’t surprising, but we landed close enough to the picnic site that we were able to figure out a path there anyway. When we arrived, about fifteen people were already there, and there was already lots of food ready and several blankets spread out. Josh was definitely surprised, as he thought that our group of 7 or 8 was going to be the entire group for the day. The picnic was beautiful: good food, a lovely grassy area (called Parque Japonés), and lots of happy people. We were totally relaxed, and we spent a few hours playing “500” because Esteban brought a Vortex, one of my favorite toys EVER! (Remember, Dad? You threw mine away!!!) It was a really wonderful afternoon and a really wonderful Palm Sunday.
To top it all off, I spent that night watching a movie with a bunch of girls. We went to Julia’s because she lives in an apartment with a girl from
And so begins the chronicling of that particular adventure. Are you ready for Buenos? I’ll give you a minute to go grab a “trago” or visit the baño while we have a word from our sponsor, Fanny Pack, the, believe it or not, super-trendy, official device for carrying one’s stuff in
COMMERCIAL BREAK.
Alright, welcome back! Let’s take a collective deep breath, annnnndddddd…. Buenos!
Our flight was at 4-something on Monday afternoon. So, I spent the morning packing, having lunch at school, getting a few things done on campus, and then meeting up with Liz and Caitlin to go to the bus that takes us to the
We flew LAN, which was lovely. We each had our own TV and could choose a current movie to watch. Liz, Caitlin, and I all watched “
We gained an hour coming into
We got ourselves orientated via a brief discussion with Noah about the city’s lay-out and some safety tips, and then went out to dinner at a place called La Libertad, following a recommendation from Noah. We’d heard that the Italian food in Buenos was supposed to be really good, and we weren’t disappointed with the pasta at this restaurant. Lizzie ordered gnocchi with pesto sauce that literally melts in your mouth! We were a bit surprised, though, when we got our bill and saw that there was a “table service” charge (for the “free” bread). This is an
We woke up a little late on Tuesday, bought some groceries, and had breakfast, which included some of the best yogurt I’ve ever had. Not to mention, this yogurt comes in little glass jars, which are sooo cute. (We had four yogurts each throughout the week, and we all returned home with a little set of these jars, which can be used for wine, storing things, little flowers, and a vast number of other situations in which one finds one’s self wishing one had a cute little glass jar.) Then, we headed out, planning to find ourselves a tourist center and snag a map. Unlike our other travels, we were not equipped with much information. I’d done some research online about sites to visit, and Lizzie had talked to Berni, her rockin’ host mom who lived in Buenos for several years, but we were without our trusty travel guides, which had helped us immensely during our other trips. When we got to the tourism kiosk, no one was there, and before we could come up with a plan B, a friendly porteño (this is what people of Buenos call themselves) approached us and directed us to a different kiosk. We were thrown off by his helpfulness, but his suggestion was perfect, and we picked up a great map and a little book with all the sites of the city highlighted. This got us through our entire stay, and we were glad we hadn’t purchased a guide book just for the week (I’d thought about it, but they’re so expensive here! Actually, books in general are pricey in
For some reason, although we were thrilled to be in Buenos and thrilled to be traveling again, we were all feeling a little lethargic. We’d gotten a lot of sleep the night before, which we probably needed, but perhaps it was TOO much. So, we plopped ourselves in the nearby park (we later learned this was Plaza San Martín), and we paged through our new materials. We stayed there for awhile, trying to figure out why we were so tired, trying to create a plan for the next few days, and getting periodically distracted by the people and noises of the plaza.
As it turns out, Plaza San Martín is currently home to an exhibit called Buddy Bears. For those of you who hail from
We walked around the plaza, looking at each Bear. They are really beautiful, and we were especially in awe of the Bears from some of the world’s poorest nations, which were absolutely stunning. Anyone who says that cultivating the arts should take a back-seat to other means of alleviating poverty is missing a very important idea: art is liberating! These Bears told stories and were incredibly moving, and it just further reinforced my longing to see the whole world. I can’t choose a favorite, but I will mention that we were disappointed in the
We walked through the Plaza, past Argentina’s version of the Big Ben, a tall clock tower called Torre Monumental (or, more commonly, the English Tower), and began to make our way toward our next destination, the Recoleta Cemetary. We had heard a lot about this beautiful cemetery, so after a fairly long walk there, we were pretty disappointed to find that it had just closed. Although, it was still worth the effort because we found a cute café where we were able to sit down and enjoy the sandwiches we’d packed (our traditional cheese and tomato combo) along with some YUMMY cappuccino drinks. I’m not a coffee drinker at home, but Lizzie and Caitlin have been desperately longing for some sort of real coffee because the only thing in
We explored the area immediately surrounding the cemetery, called the
We decided our legs were tired and our lethargic bodies had had enough, so we called a cab home. It would have been possible to walk, but we still weren’t sure exactly where we were going and it was dark and we were tired; plus, cabs in
That night, we decided to cook our first meal in
That night, we wanted to go out, but it was a Tuesday during Holy Week, so we didn’t get the impression that the city was very lively. We tried to go to a place called Notorious (a nearby jazz club we’d heard about), but it was already full. So, we found ourselves at a cute little bar located in another renovated building. The city is full of old, European-style buildings, and it makes for some really quaint little places. It was ladies’ night (how convenient), so our drinks were 2 for 1. I had no idea what to drink, as there was no Pisco option—this is one reason
It seems like there are a lot more foreigners in
The next day (Wednesday), had been designated Museum Day because Noah had told us that the museums in Buenos were free on Wednesdays. So, after another delicious yogurt, Hanna, Lizzie, Caitlin, and I headed out on the town. (I forgot to mention that there were ten of us girls from
After leaving the museum, we passed by a big sculpture of a flower. It consists of several huge metal plates (“petals”) which open and close at sunrise and sunset, respectively. We took a five-minute break to enjoy it and relax in the grassy park. It was a sunny, beautiful day (like each day we had in Buenos!), and although it gets tiring walking around in the heat all day, we were excited about our next stop: the
That night, we had plans to go to a rocking show—an orchestra of young guys who play tango music. In
We finished our meal with just enough time to hurry back to the hostel to drop off my leftovers and find out that…BUMMER… we’d received an email from the show saying it was full for that evening. We decided that, since there could possibly still be standing room, we’d go and check it out anyway. So, we went, and we were disappointed again. No room. Period. We returned, down-trodden and defeated, to the hostel to see what else was going on. A bunch of people had decided to go out to a place nearby, called the Shamrock, so we joined them. But, it was kind of creepy. We ordered a beer, avoided the lack-of-dancing that was going on in the strange dancing area (very disappointing, especially since people are ALWAYS dancing in
The next day was Holy Thursday, and I’d wanted to get to Mass, but it just didn’t work out with the plans for the day. We spent the morning in La Boca, a poorer area of the city renowned for its tango in the streets, colorful streets, and cheap souvenirs. We took a cab there, since it would have taken awhile to walk there, and our taxi driver was an enthusiastic woman eager to tell us all about the boring governmental buildings we were passing. This was a good thing, though, because it helped us orient ourselves, and it saved us visits to these “important” sites. Suffice it to say that huge buildings no longer impress me. We arrived in La Boca and found ourselves in the middle of a cheap little crafts market, where we purchased a few things for ourselves/others. We then made our way to the colorful, bustling cobblestone street nearby, called El Caminito (literally, the Little Road). The buildings were brightly colored, and there were these funny little statues waving from the balconies. People were selling things in the streets, dancing the tango, handing out flyers for the various restaurants, and bustling about— basically, it was a bit like a Chilean Disneyland, as Lizzie put it.
It’s vibrant and colorful, but it’s a bit odd because, just off of this touristy street, people are actually living, very humbly, and it seems such a strange thing that this modest little neighborhood has become such a tourist hub. Our favorite thing was getting off of El Caminito and walking around a bit. We saw some beautiful graffiti, commemorating the people who had gone missing during the war a couple of decades ago, and we got to see people actually living, which was refreshing in comparison to the stifling main-drag bustle. But, we did sit at a table on El Caminito to watch some tango, and it was wonderful! We even saw two guys tangoing together, which I don’t think happens very often. The service at this restaurant was absolutely terrible, and we waited over a half hour for some tiny little empanadas. Then, we left La Boca and headed back to the central
Since the war, when many people’s friends and family disappeared or were murdered, the Madres de la Plaza de Mayo (Mothers of May Square, to translate literally) gather every Thursday at 3 or so to march around the Plaza in solemn silence, share their stories with those who wish to hear them, sell books, pins, and postcards, and continue to be a presence—reminding everyone that they are still fighting for the same human rights issues that their sons, daughters, cousins, husbands, and friends were fighting for when they disappeared. The Mothers were absolutely beautiful—so moving! We marched with them, and I bought a poetry book and a few postcards with artwork on them. We didn’t really get to talk to them, but I really wouldn’t have known what to say anyway. Their demonstration spoke volumes, though, and the fact that, every Thursday for years, they have marched around the Plaza (located right outside
We didn’t have tons of time after that, so we toured the Cathedral quickly, wandered around a bit in the downtown area, and took a cab home. There, we got ready, had some yummy tacos, and headed to our most exciting event: a tango show! We had booked ourselves a table at Café Tortoni, a super-famous venue which has been tango central for years and has seen numerous famous acts/guests in its time. The place itself is historic. It is a cozy little venue, and there's a stage downstairs in a warm room with brick walls, which made for an intimate atmosphere.
Lizzie, Caitlin, and I got a table right at the front, which we shared with, ironically enough, a guy from
We had told Noah that we’d go out with him that night after our show, so we met up with him and everyone else when we returned. We headed to a place right next door to our hostel. It was actually really weird. They were playing awful 80’s music videos, and there was no one there. I didn’t feel like spending money or drinking, so I just hung out for awhile, but when it became clear that the music wasn’t going to improve and the place wasn’t going to get very much busier, we left. It was kind of fun to hang out with Noah, but even that couldn’t keep us there all night. As it turns out, we had a pretty hard time trying to go out in
Friday was our last full day in the city, and we had exciting plans. We woke up and made our way, slowly (we stopped a few times to shop and, of course, sample the delicious alfajores that
In
Good Friday Mass at the Cathedral was pretty frustrating. It was totally packed, so we had to sit on the floor in the side aisle. Plus, it was really dark. The Cardinal was presiding, and everything was very dry. Veneration of the Cross didn’t occur until after Mass, and we really didn’t have time to wait around for the huge, unmoving line. Plus, the whole Mass, people kept coming in and out, touring the Cathedral and making tons of noise. It wasn’t the place I would have ideally spent my Good Friday service, but I was thankful for the opportunity to attend.
Afterwards, we headed to the hostel to get ready and go to that acrobatics/tango show that we’d seen advertised on our first night in Recoleta. We were really excited about it, but, as our luck would have it, we arrived at the location and found out that the show, for some reason or another, wasn’t happening that evening. We were a bit upset—things like this just kept happening to us, and it didn’t seem fair. But, things happen for a reason, and we spent the night instead at Notorious, where we purchased a few CD’s, drank some wine, and listened to a PHENOMENAL band from
We stayed in that night and shared "mate" with Noah. Mate is tea, but it’s meant especially for sharing and there are many customs associated with this experience. There’s a certain mug and straw you use, and you pack it in the cup a certain way and then pour the water a certain way. Then, you pass it around the circle and share it, and one person is in charge of re-pouring the water and serving it to the next person each time. This can go on for hours, and it’s a really social event. It was enjoyable to just hang out, talk, and share this yummy drink. Paul was playing Beatles songs for some of the other girls in a different room, and when we went to bed, there was an overall good feeling in the hostel. But, we were pretty sad that it was our last night in Buenos.
We woke up on Saturday and wanted to do some quick shopping, so we browsed around the neighborhood for awhile, had some lunch, got our things packed up, and that was that. We headed to the airport around 2 because Caitlin had to take a plane home around 4 and Lizzie and I had a flight around 5. We were not very excited to end our time in
That night, we had tickets for “Jesus Christ Superstar”—in English! We had no idea what to expect, and as it turns out, the production was nothing compared to those at home. The actors were terrible, didn’t sing on key, and seemed to be devoid of emotion OR wayyyy too expressive. It was humorous, at the very least, and I am happy that we got to see a theatrical presentation of some sort and that we got to hear the music (even if it was terrible) because I love the songs from that musical. We spent the night at Lizzie’s, which was really nice because none of us wanted to go home and none of us wanted to wake up alone on Easter morning either. This turned out to be a really good plan because, on Sunday, we woke up, got dressed in our cute little outfits, went to a lovely Mass at a nearby parish (it was actually held in a gym, but it was still nice—and the homily was about women’s rights and women’s importance in the Church, so that was neat!), and then we purchased food to make ourselves a delicious Easter meal. We bought a home-made Tiramisu from a man selling them outside Mass, which was a perfect complement to the rest of our meal: veggie omelettes, a wonderful fruit salad, Mimosas (of course), and some yummy bread we’d purchased that morning. We prepared and shared our meal together and, although it was weird to be away from my family and everything, it was so nice to have two friends I really care about to share Easter lunch with. Plus, I got to Skype with my family afterwards, which was SO wonderful. It was so great to see you all!!
I am pretty exhausted from typing all of this, and I think I’ll wrap it up, even though I haven’t said much about this week. To be honest, nothing too eventful has happened. I had a volleyball game on Thursday, which we lost, but now we know what we need to work on. I am enjoying my time on the team, and I’m glad I have something like that to be committed to. Also, Lizzie and I went to our service site on Wednesday. We didn’t do much except sit and eat with some of the girls in the program, but I guess that’s how it will be for a little while until we develop some sort of relationship. I’m realizing that a lot of my expectations (like “I want to figure out what I want to do with my life” or “I want to make a real difference”) were a bit unrealistic for a six-month period in a foreign country. Every day is a growing experience, and I’m learning so much—it just so happens that the things I’m learning are not the things I expected to learn. My time here, perhaps, is about BEING much more than it is about DOING. And that is a healthy, though hard, thing to learn.
Tonight, I am watching the Brewer game at Esteban’s. I have no idea why it’s being televised here, but I’m very excited!
I am planning to visit Chile's desert north in the coming months, and I’m greatly anticipating my Mom and sister’s visit in another month. Time is FLYING, but I still have lots to look forward to, and I’m trying to enjoy every second of it!
I hope you are doing well. I hope it is getting warmer. I hope you are still burning with that Easter spirit. I miss you and love you and pray for all of you each day.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Love,
Amanda
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comments. It's wonderful to hear your feedback and your news, and I'm happy to know you're reading this blog. Have a wonderful day! :)